Many people are now choosing organic products over non-organic products. Most of them believe that organic food is healthier and safer to consume. These personal perceptions can actually be backed up with researches and scientific facts. Here are some of the significant benefits that we can get from consuming organic food:
- Good Sources of Antioxidants – Organic fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants that can prevent several diseases like premature aging, heart problems, vision problems, and even cancer.
- Prevents poisoning from chemical pesticides and fertilizers – There have been many cases of food poisoning due to the fertilizers or pesticides that have been used in plants. Pesticides are usually sprayed to plants to get rid of insects and other pests. When humans consume high amounts of pesticides and chemical fertilizers, it can affect their digestive and nervous systems. To avoid these problems, organic farmers do not use pesticides and chemical fertilizers. They only use natural fertilizers like compost pits to improve the growth of their plants.
- It tastes better – Organic farmers do not use any food flavorings, additives, or preservatives. This ensures that you can taste the natural flavors of the food that you are eating. Also, organic foods are usually fresher so you can consume them in their prime stages.
- Prevents resistance to antibiotics – Organic farmers do not inject antibiotics to their animals. These antibiotics can cause resistant strains which can affect our immune system and over all health.
- Animal Rights and Welfare – Animal lovers can be assured that the animals in organic farms are not raised in dirty cages. Instead, they are free to roam around the farm. Also, these animals are not grown with hormones, antibiotics, formula feeds, or animal byproducts.
- Environmental Safety – Organic farming does not leave dangerous chemical traces in the environment. Because it does not involve the use of harmful chemicals, it rarely costs air, soil, and water pollution.
- It is GMO-Free – Genetically Modified Organisms are animals or plants whose DNA was modified to create crossbreeds or improve resistance to pesticides.
In buying organic products, you always need to check the label. Genuine organic products should be certified by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The government sets standards on how organic food should be grown and handled.
Before eating organic food, you should wash and cook them thoroughly. These products are not treated so there is a possibility that it still has some dirt and bacteria. Also, organic foods are more perishable since it does not contain any food preservatives. It is better to consume organic foods on the same day that you bought them.
The only downside of organic foods is their price. They are usually more expensive than commercial non-organic products. However, if you really want a healthy and safe way to consume food, choosing organic products is a good investment.
If you want to start eating organic food, you should buy meat, cheese, vegetables, and fruits from stores like Whole Foods. This store has its own organic farm to ensure that it provides the freshest organic products for its customers.