Most Americans are meat lovers. From steaks, to sausages, to hams and burgers, we really love to feast on a piece of fresh, juicy meat. Meat is an important source of protein, the main building block of life. However, too much consumption of meat may pose different health risks including heart problems and obesity.
Over the years, many studies have been done regarding meat consumption. Each day, the recommended amount of meat consumption is only around the size of a match box. Most of us obviously consume more meat than that.
Though we can’t stick to the recommended amount, we can still control and decrease the amount of our meat consumption by replacing our regular fast food or all-meat meals with meat-free options. You can choose to just eat meat for one meal and go meat-free for the two other meals.
If you love to eat burgers and sandwiches, you can still enjoy your daily meals with endless no-meat options. Here are the top five meat-free sandwiches that can keep you healthy:
- Cheesy Mushroom Sandwich – If you love cheese burgers, this is a good alternative for you. Just make the
cheese-mushroom spread by mixing milk, cheese, ground pepper, and thick mushroom soup in a bowl. Pour the mixture in a hot pan and cook it until it simmers. Evenly spread your cheese-mushroom mixture on a piece of whole wheat bread and put fresh sliced mushroom. Add another piece of bread on top to complete the sandwich.
- ALT Sandwich – The combination of tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese (TLC) burgers have been famous in the early 90s. Now, the newest hit combination is a sandwich with avocado, lettuce, and tomatoes (ALT). Avocado is a good alternative to meat because is rich in protein and healthy fats.
- Banana Peel Burger – Still craving for burgers? No worries. The banana peel burger can give you the scrumptious taste of beef burgers without the extra calories. Just wash the banana peels and boil them until they are brown and soft enough to be mashed. Mash the peels and mix it with oatmeal, eggs, carrots, salt, soy sauce, and ground pepper. Make little meat balls and flatten them with a spatula to make the burgers. Fry your burgers and put it in a bun with ketchup, tomatoes, and onions.
- Peanut Butter and Fruits Sandwich – Peanut Butter and Jelly (PB&J) is one of the country’s most favorite sandwiches. If you are health conscious, you can combine peanut butter with fresh fruits instead of sweet jellies. This can help you avoid consuming too much sugar. Some of the fruits that blend well with peanut butter are berries, bananas, and apples.
- Squash Nuggets Sandwich – Cooking veggie nuggets is a fun way to teach your kids to eat vegetables. These nuggets taste so good; adults and kids alike would enjoy eating them without even noticing that they are actually eating squash. To prepare the nuggets, just cut the squash into thin slices and beat eggs in a bowl. Bread the squash slices with flour, salt, and pepper mixture. Put the breaded squash in the bowl of beaten egg. Remove the excess egg and cover the squash slices with Japanese breading. Fry the nuggets and put it in your sandwich with ketchup and lettuce.
Whether you are a vegetarian or not, you will definitely enjoy eating these delicious meat-free sandwiches. These sandwiches are really tasty and they can keep you fit and healthy. Plus, they are easy to prepare at home. Just buy fresh sandwich breads at bakeries like Kroger and try making the healthy sandwiches listed above.