Craving for pizza? There are many pizza shops and restaurants that can deliver a box of pizza straight to your home. However, if you are worrying about the calories of each slice from your favorite pizza parlor, you can try to make your own healthy pizza at home.
Don’t be scared. It is not so hard and you do not even need to learn how to bake. Just prepare the ingredients and follow the simple steps listed below:
- 1 loaf of whole wheat or multi-grain bread
For the sauce:
- 1 500mL can or pouch of tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons of sugar
For the toppings (These can be changed based on your preferences)
- Grated Cheese
- Fresh deli meat slices
- Pineapple chunks
- Bell pepper
- Other vegetables and herbs
- Preheat your oven at 350° Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. You can do this while you are preparing the ingredients.
- Carefully mix the tomato sauce and sugar in a bowl, and then add salt, pepper and basil to taste. The sweetness and saltiness of the sauce depends on your preference.
- To make sure that your pizza is healthy, choose freshly baked whole wheat or multi-grain bread. If the loaf of bread is not yet sliced, slice them into thick pieces. You can also opt for thin slices if you are a fan of thin crust pizzas.
- Place the bread slices inside a pan and carefully put sauce on each slice. Spread the sauce evenly and do not put too much because it may drip on the sides while you are cooking the pizza.
- Put grated cheese on top. Make sure that the cheese that you are using is easy to melt.
- Add toppings of your choice which may include meat, fruits, vegetables and other herbs and spices.
- Place the pan inside your oven and cook the pizza at 350° Fahrenheit for 3 – 5 minutes only. Simply observe if the cheese has already melted and the other toppings are already cooked.
- Remove the pan from the oven and serve the pizza hot. Makes 12 – 16 servings.
Options for toppings
If you have kids, the best option is to make a classic Hawaiian pizza. You just need a nitrate free deli ham, pineapple chunks, and cheese for toppings. You can also add mushrooms for a healthier version.
For adults, you can add more toppings like bell pepper, white onion, olives, and other vegetables like fresh tomatoes, spinach, and zucchinis. You can also add jalapeños instead of commercial hot sauce to make your pizza hot and spicy.
If you are really a health buff, ditch the pepperoni, chorizo, and ground beef toppings. Instead, choose healthier meat like chicken breasts and turkey. You can also totally remove meat from your options and make a vegetarian garden pizza.
Who says you can’t make your own pizza at home? It’s really easy. All you need are fresh bread from bakeries like Whole Foods, tomato sauce, some toppings, and a little creativity to enjoy pizza in a fun, healthy way.