Have some leftover bread in your freezer? If the bread has been stored in your fridge or freezer for more than three days, simply reheating it may not be enough to regain its taste and texture. That is the reason why many people simply throw away their leftover or stale breads.
If you have a habit of buying too much bagels or bread loaves, you do not have to toss your excess bread into the garbage can right away. There are simple recipes that you can do at home to consume your leftover breads in a scrumptious way.
One of the easiest ways to consume leftover breads is to turn them into delicious French toasts. Once you have mastered the basics of making a French toast, you can experiment with its ingredients and toppings to create your own version.
- 8 thick slices of bread
- 1 cup of milk
- 4 medium-sized eggs
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- Step 1: Beat the eggs thoroughly in a large bowl. Make sure that the bowl is big enough for you to place the slices of bread.
- Step 2: Whisk the milk, sugar, and vanilla with the beaten eggs.
- Step 3: Add a pinch of salt. Most recipes do not include salt. However, if you want to balance the taste of your toast, a little amount of salt can be helpful. Salt actually brings out the natural sweetness of the bread.
- Step 4: Put each slice of bread into the egg-milk mixture. Let the bread soak in the mixture for at least 30 seconds.
- Step 5: Melt some butter in a frying pan. Butter or margarine is a healthier option than oil.
- Step 6: Shake off the excess mixture and place the slices of bread onto the hot frying pan.
- Step 7: Fry the bread slices until brown on one side, then flip and fry the other side.
- Step 8: Serve hot with your choice of toppings.
Ideas for Toppings
French toasts are very versatile. You can eat them with salty bacon and egg, or serve them with sweet maple or chocolate syrup. Here are some healthy topping ideas for you:
- Spices – Some recipes include cinnamon, nutmeg, and other spices. These spices bring additional flavors and texture to your toasts.
- Berries – If you want to put cream on top of your toasts, also include berries to make your breakfast healthier. Berries have vitamins and antioxidants that help in preventing the growth of cancer cells.
- Apples and Peaches – These fruits go well with maple syrup. Their slightly sour tastes balance the sweetness of the syrup.
- Bananas – Love chocolates? A choco-banana French toast is a sweet way to start your day. Also, bananas have tryptophan, an element which can make people happy. This is the reason why eating French toasts with bananas can literally make you smile.
French toast is a perfect weekend breakfast. You do not have to wait for your bread to become stale in order to make one. You can buy freshly baked breads from bakeries like Walmart and use the recipe above to make delicious French toasts.